Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Ti amo...


Dear Grandpa,
So I couldn’t make it home for the funeral. I had a really hard time with that at first. It is hard to accept things like this when you are alone, away from home. Luckily, as I told you two weeks ago, the last time we talked, my parents were on their way here. The trip was so great. We thought about you a lot.
Remember the last time we talked how I told you I had planned to go to Italy? You were so excited for me to get the chance to see our “home.” I think my parents are right, you would rather me celebrate you by going to Italy and keep my trip planned, then fly home to be sad and my semester abroad early. I feel like it is fitting – on Friday as we all celebrate your life, I will do that as well in my own way by going to a place you loved, the place you came from.
I can’t wait to see everything there and imagine our family being there. You always said we needed to go there. I can’t wait to hear the words you always used to tell me, like “ti amo” and “mangiare” (however the food will most likely just remind me of you) and I am looking forward to going to the Vatican and praying for you there.
It is hard to imagine that I won’t see you again. I think about the way you called me “Ames” and how proud you always were of me for my school work. Also, I am really going to miss the abundant supply of Sun Rise Pizzas, canned peppers, nut rolls, the way Katie always behaved around you, the endless stories you would tell me about taking Alyssa shopping, and just how great of a grandfather you were. But then it is okay, because I know you loved going to church and now you are with Jesus. Your body is all better now and you are in a place with such goodness and no more cancer or pain. I can’t even begin to imagine how wonderful it is.
I know this weekend will be really hard, but I’ll try to keep focused on how much you loved Italy and be happy that I got to experience something that was such a part of you instead of being away from the funeral. I will see you again and just know how very much I am going to miss you.
 Ti amo, Grandpa.
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment